The Calgary Stampede is once again participating in Doors Open YYC. We are excited to give you a behind-the-scenes look at little-seen places in the Stampede Grandstand, Rodeo chutes and chuckwagon barns, with some new twists this year! You will learn about the inner-workings of our biggest events: the Stampede Rodeo, GMC Rangeland Derby and the TransAlta Grandstand Show. Here are a few reasons why a (free!) visit to Stampede Park will be a great way to spend your Saturday on September 24.
- Animals. Meet some of the animal competitors in the Monster Energy Professional Bull Riding Canada Tour taking place on Saturday.
- Get an up-close-and-personal look at the incredible costumes and props from Grand Spectacular, the 2016 TransAlta Grandstand Show. Our tour takes you beneath the Grandstand Stage, where The Young Canadians get ready and rest between curtain calls. You will see where we store the props, the massive elevators that bring performers up to the stage—and learn about the inner-workings of the Grandstand Show.
- Best view in the house. Only a very few people have access to Eye in the Sky during the Stampede, including the chuckwagon and rodeo announcers and a smattering of media. This is your chance to get the best view in the house!
- Get a close up look at the Rodeo chutes and chuckwagon barns and learn about the lives of our animal athletes.
- Our amazing Doors Open neighbour sites. After you take our tour, check out one of these nearby sites: F&D Scene Changes will give you a behind the scenes look at their workshop where they create theatre, TV and film scenery and much more; at Reader Rock Garden/Union Cemetery you can learn about the origin of the rocks, the plants and many prominent historic Calgarians; the ENMAX District Energy will get an up close look at how they create and deliver energy; and the St. Louis Hotel will offer tours that delve into the history of the building and the recent renovations.
- Stampede volunteers. Ok, Stampede volunteers are always amazing, but this event will give you a sense of HOW MUCH they really do.
- Free pancakes. Does anyone not love a free pancake? Get yours between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the Grandstand Courtyard!
C-Train. The closest stop to the Grandstand is the Erlton/Stampede on the Red line. From Erlton/Stampede station, head east to Stampede Trail, take a left across the Elbow River and the Grandstand will be on your right.
We have 100 free parking vouchers available through Eventbrite. Reserve one now – print your voucher and present it to the parking attendant on duty. There is a parking lot directly in front of the Grandstand.
Other important information
Tours run between 45 to 60 minutes.
Tours will leave on the half hour, with the last tour starting at 4 p.m.
Not fully wheelchair and stroller accessible.
Please wear comfortable, closed-toe walking shoes.