Okay – I admit – the point to this blog is to do nothing more than gush about how excited I am that Stampede is almost here. And not only is it almost here … it’s almost here in the biggest way it has ever been here. The 100th anniversary of the Stampede is going to be one of Calgary’s most epic celebrations and we get to be part of it.
Who’s we? All of us! Every Calgarian – every Albertan – and a whole lot of people from all over the world. This is our celebration and I love that the Stampede had done such a great job at reminding us of that!
I’m sure you can agree that it is awfully hard to contain your excitement at this point. By now you are reminded Stampede is upon us everywhere you turn.
Driving down Crowchild Trail you’re created with a banner overtop the pedsitrian walkway greets you and reminds you that we are turning 100 together! Local newspapers sport the “Let’s Turn 100 Together” advertisement. The standard red and white flags down major Calgary roads. Twitter is all abuzz with talk of #stampede100. Even a flight out of the city will remind you of this exciting year through onboard advertising. The radio spots – that are both informative and hilarious (you knew line dancing was the original flash mob right?). Windows and doors all over downtown Calgary are not only glowing with the standard western cartoons but also messages of excitement over this being the Stampede’s 100th year.
You can’t escape it. And you can’t help but to embrace it.
Need help embracing (I’d be surprised if you do, if you’re as excited as I am but I’ll give you some ideas) …
- Download the App and plan your Centennial Stampede
- Buy the Centennial Stamps and send some snail mail to friends telling them all the fun things you plan to do
- Participate in the Next Generation Committee’s Time Capsule Project
- Create a Stampede Caravan breakfast schedule (I know your stomach is excited for massive amounts of pancakes)
- And watch the Centennial videos … over and over … especially my favorite: We’re Greatest Together: Ride.
We will “ride together” this Centennial Stampede! And what a wild ride it will be!
So excited to celebrate with you Calgary – see you at grounds next week!